Beard’s Double Tops the Tadders

Tadley Calleva 2 Bashley 3
Wessex Premier

Bashley, without key striker Dan Munday and reeling from the sudden shock of on-loan forward Nathan Clements being called back by AFC Bournemouth, started shakily against their northeast Hampshire opponents. Young winger, Jamie Webber became the surprise partner for frontman Cameron Beard with defender Tony Rolls in an unfamiliar midfield role.

Cameron v Baffins FS VaseTadley were first to attack and it took a quick reaction save by keeper Callum Ward to the keep scores level. He, however, had little chance when after eleven minutes the home side were awarded a penalty, adjudged for a push by Brad Morris, which was converted by George Hallahan. Whilst Tadley were still the dominant side there were signs that Bashley were finding their gears with Hugh Dathan, ably supported by Lewis Aimson, finding space and understanding down the left flank.

Dathan found Beard at the far post and his shot was blocked on the line; shortly afterwards he received a hotly disputed yellow card when rising high to meet a cross. This seemed to galvanise Beard and the game turned Bashley’s way. Building from a defence, now looking secure and well marshalled by Dan Thompson, and with Brad Morris claiming the midfield, the pressure was now on Tadley.

Harrison White was unfortunate when his low curing shot from distance was fumbled past the post and both Dathan’s penetration and Beard’s in-your-face presence were causing the home team problems. The equaliser came from a disputed penalty when Beard was bundled off the ball when storming forward. Despite protestations from the Tadders that lasted for many minutes, spot-taker Brad Strickland kept his cool and the half ended with the scores even.

Cameron BeardThe second half was one of Bashley pressure and Tadley break-outs; both dangerous and making for exciting football. Fifteen minutes-in a Tadley long shot landed just in front of the stooping Ward and rebounded off his chest gifting Hallahan to score from close range.

The lead lasted 5 minutes. Aimson powering down the left crossed to Beard who unleashed a net-busting drive from just outside of the box. The game was now fast and furious and Bashley replaced the tiring Rolls with the young legs of Josh Cook whose harrying and chasing was a bee-sting of annoyance to Tadley as they tried to move forward. Then, with seven minutes remaining, a high pass from White found Beard who eased aside a defender and bent a match-winning, side of the foot sliced shot, into the far corner of the net from just inside of the box.

Bashley: Ward, Dathan, Aimson, Morris, Thompson, Farrugia, Rolls, Strickland, Beard, White, Webber
Used Sub: Cook
Att: 95
Photo: Cameron Beard